Old May 25th 05, 12:54 AM
Gary Drescher

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Any student that doesn't at least show that
much interest can walk, and I don't care if he's a student of mine or of
any
other instructor.

That's a perfectly reasonable choice for you to make, especially since
you're an instructor. But there's also nothing unreasonable about a PIC
being willing to carry a student passenger who does *not* take that interest
on that particular flight (especially a PIC who is *not* an instructor); and
there'd be nothing unreasonable about being such a passenger.

But I don't understand why you leap to the conclusion that the student
*didn't* take an interest in planning the flight. The pilots' joint
statement claims they both did pre-flight planning; do you have evidence to
the contrary? The student was actually flying the plane; perhaps he was not
yet far enough along in his training to navigate reliably while doing so, so
he depended on the PIC to interpret where they were (relative to their
pre-planned track) and to say what heading to fly. The PIC got lost, thought
they were elsewhere, and specified the wrong headings.

--Gary