Old May 26th 05, 07:06 PM
Maule Driver

Agreed. Getting thru/around/over Class B is one reason that VFR makes
more sense than VFR when VMC but I want radar advisories when I'm doing
that. I normally ask "Maule 44Foxtrot requests radar advisories"
rather than "Flight Following". Don't know if that makes any difference
but If I decide to overfly or underfly a Class B, I'm not asking for
routing, I'm asking for traffic advisories. And while I'll welcome zigs
and zags, I'm probably going to follow my strategy and not accept route
or altitude deviations 'suggested' by ATC. The only hard stop is
"remain clear".

In practice, I'm typically IFR in VMC and not happy with my options.
When I cancel, it's pretty clear that I'm pursuing a different route and
rarely are others suggested.

Dave Butler wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:
The biggest reason I've heard (and feel often enough) is that
you're likely to get "vectored" even if clear of controlled airspace.
I've got a friend with a turbo Arrow that flies along VFR without
flight following right over the top of Class C and Class B at 10500
or 11500. If you were to call up approach while doing, that, seems
like 9 times out of 10 they'll vector you 10-20 miles out of the way.
Similarly if you're skirting under an airspace... likely to get
vectored further out.

There's two sides to this.
One is that if you're VFR in Class E airspace, they really don't have
any authority to vector you (I'm sure somebody will come up with some
exception). Sometimes controllers do try to do so anyway, but if you
really don't want to comply, you can just say "cancel flight
following, request frequency change" and go on your fat, dumb, and
happy way.

The other is that if you're doing something like skirting the top of a
Class B by 500 feet and the controller suggests a heading or route to
you, it might just be in both of your best interests to go along with
it. You scratch his back and he'll scratch yours. There's a lot of
heavy metal climbing out the top of a Class B. I don't want to be the
hood ornament on a 747, nor do I want to discover what the wake
turbulence of one feels like.

Yes. I've gone over the top of Chicago twice on the way to OSH. You know
you can't get an IFR routing anywhere near there, so I crossed the CBAS
at 10500 VFR. I was happy to have advisories as the aluminum
concentration was high. The controller seemed to be glad I was talking
and squawking, too. He did give me a couple of zigzags, but that's
better than going way out over Lake Michigan or 50 miles to the west.