Old May 30th 05, 04:35 PM
ls

Lakeview Bill wrote:
A lack of time for research is the reason that I didn't reply to this...

From what I have read, an airplane must be certified for IFR, either from
the factory, or in the field. And it must have periodic inspections to
insure IFR certification. Again, this is just what I believe I have read.

But keep in mind that Light Sport Aircraft are not certificated in the same
manner as other aircraft. I doubt that there is even an IFR certification
available for a Light Sport Aircraft.

I appear to have been wrong. The preamble to the SP rule states:

"Light-sport aircraft issued an experimental light-sport or special
light-sport airworthiness certificate that are authorized to operate in
Class B, C, and D airspace must have the equipment for VFR or IFR
operations specified in the applicable consensus standards....."

which pretty clearly indicates that nothing in the rule limits ELSA or
SLSA from being IFR certified......

I also couldn't find anything in the amendments elsewhere (such as parts
21 or 91) that specifically restricted ELSA or SLSA from being IFR
certified.....

So I guess you can do it.... Not sure I'd want to fly an LSA in actual,
but hey maybe I'm just not that fun of a guy...

LS
N646F

[snippage for space]