Old September 6th 03, 03:03 PM
Mick Ruthven

If you fly in the SF Bay Area, you're probably already familiar with the
Monterey LOC DME 28L approach. It has several step downs and a some
important terrain issues. This is an approach where the safety
pilot/instructor should have the pilot remove the hood a couple of times to
see the consequences of making a mistake.

1. If you're getting vectors to final, just before interception take a look
at the terrain ahead to see where you'd be going if you didn't receive a
clearance to intercept and just kept flying through the locallizer on the
vector heading.

2. As you reach the minimum altitude for each stopdown, take a look outside
to your left. I'll bet you've never seen terrain and houses so close before.

After seeing where the terrain is on final, I added 500' to the minimum
step-down altitudes for this approach...

Mick Ruthven

"Angus Davis" wrote in message
I am curious to hear this group's thoughts on the most challenging
instrument approaches in the Western US. Perhaps this not the best way
to phrase the question, because I am planning a trip with a fellow
instrument student and our instructor around the Western US this winter,
similar to those organized by outfits such as IFR West. So, I am
looking for challenging approaches that will be a good learning
opportunity for the instrument student. I fly in the Bay Area, so I'm
no stranger to ATC. We will probably do the trip in an all-glass SR-20,
so no ADF. I consider "Western US" to be anything where radio stations
begin with a "K" Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
-angus