Old September 8th 03, 01:58 PM
John Harper

Sure, but I think the point here (definitely a "don't try this at
home" but an interesting theoretical point) is that if upon
reaching MDA, still in IMC, you cancel IFR (very quickly!)
then you would still be legal.

Whether this is wise is altogether a different point. However
if it is C&R then logically so is ANY uncontrolled IMC in
class G. Which is fine by me, I find the idea horrifying, even
if it is commonplace in the UK.

John

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Greg, where can we view this ruling by the NTSB?
Do you or anyone have references to actual situations where pilots
have been violated using "careless and reckless" due to operating in
imc in uncontrolled airspace?

The issue is not operating in IMC in uncontrolled airspace. The OP's
question revolved around descending below the MDA on an instrument
approach without having the runway environment in sight. That's illegal.