Old September 8th 03, 04:27 PM

Having live in Juneau for 6 years in a former life, I can say it's
got to be close to the worst conditions possible for flying. It's often
described as "landing in a fishbowl," since there's water on all sides,
and 3500' mountains within 5-10 miles on 3 sides, and within 20 miles on
the 4th side. I wasn't into private flying at the time, but did enough
missed approaches as a passenger in 737's to know it was a bitch. The
weather can move in there so even the commercial guys won't fly in for a
week or more.

Lou Ramsay wrote:
: Juneau, Alaska is no "bowl of peaches" either.
snip
: hill just slides under as you are, or just before,
: making the dogleg.

They call it "Engineer's cutoff" in Juneau, since they cut the trees off
the top of the hill to help forward visibility on short final. That's
how close the whole approach is.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *