Old June 7th 05, 11:57 PM
Bill Daniels

"Corky Scott" wrote in message

I'm not saying auto engines cannot take a continuous 50% power for
hours on end, with frequent calls for 100% power, but they aren't
often asked to do that normally and as I've said so often in the past,
even if it's something other than the long block that fails, a dead
engine is a dead engine. One of the two Goldwing conversions I read
about used the transmission to drive the prop. That setup failed
after a while. Don't know about the other one.

It isn't just the engine that has to keep going, it's the psru, the
prop, the fuel system, the induction system, the ignition system and
the charging system that also have to stand up to hard use.

Corky Scott

Of course, Lyc's and Continentals often outlast their accessories too.

Here in Colorado, many folks commute by road from their homes in Summit
County to the Denver Metro area each day. The return trip is a full
throttle climb for an hour or so for a 5000+ foot climb to the Eisenhower
Tunnel. There is no evidence that these engines are failing at a greater
rate than those in more modest duty. Those failures that do occur seem to
be mainly cooling system hoses.

This tells me that given a good engine choice, a good installation and good
maintenance, an auto or motorcycle engine should give good service in an
airplane.

bildan