Old June 11th 05, 11:05 PM
BillJ

Roy Smith wrote:
I'm going to Baltimore in a couple of weeks and figure I'll fly into Martin
State (KMTN). The approaches to 33
(http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0505/05222I33.PDF, for example) say, "Clearance
through R-4001A/B must be obtained before using this approach." What does
that mean to me as a pilot? Do I need to hear "cleared into R-4001,
cleared ILS-33 approach"? That's the obvious interpretation of the note,
but it seems rather silly.

If the guy just says (as I expect him to), "cleared ILS-33", shouldn't I
assume that I'm cleared into R-4001? as well? What's the point of the note
on the plate at all?

There's something strange on the plan view too. Using the SWANN IAF, I fly
360 heading to intercept the localizer, maintain 2000 until CINDI. That's
simple enough, but what are the hash marks on the bold course line supposed
to mean?

I have flown into MTN many times and used ILS 33. Never have I heard any
thing about the restricted area. Don't think it is very active and not
an issue. You hear the normal clearance from Potomoc Appc.