Old June 14th 05, 07:19 AM
Airthug

Howdy -

I know this topic has come up before, but we're searching for the
latest theories:
We're towing a DG-500M in a Cobra trailer, and it has a definite sway,
fortunately it usually damps fairly well. Life was worse with a strong
crosswind. We had 2 thoughts:
1. tonuge weight - are we shooting for tongue weight about 10% of the
total trailer weight?
2. Hitch height - any thoughts?

Thanks!
Rolf

If your tow vehicle uses leaf springs to suspent the rear axel, then a
sway bar will likely stop the problem. Next time you tow, see if you
can feel the tow vehicle moving side to side on it's leaf springs as
you sway. The mass of a big trailer will "rubber band" your leaf
springs side to side, with nothing to damp that motion. Like taking the
shocks off your car and riding on the springs, except sideways.

-Dan