Old October 8th 03, 02:19 PM
David Megginson

"Tarver Engineering" writes:

I got my information from John Brownlee FAA flight test pilot. He
gives a pretty interesting power point presentation on the subject.

Here's the poop from the weather study guide for my IFR training:

The size of the droplets and the frequency with which the strike the
aircraft are important because the character of the ice depends on
whether or not each drop freezes completely before another drop
strikes the same spot. If the droplets pile rapidly on each other
before being completely frozen, the unfrozen parts mingle and spread
out before freezing. If the droplets freeze completely before being
hit by another droplet, a large amount of air is trapped causing the
ice to be opaque and brittle.

and later,

Because of the low adhesive properties of rime, it is generally
readily removed by de-icing equipment.

and

CLEAR ICE - This type of ice has high adhesive and cohesive
properties. Unlike rime, it can spread from the leading edges, and
in severe cases may cover the whole surface of the aircraft.

(From the Canadian Forces Air Command Weather Manual, Chapter 9.) Of
course, the adhesive properties are irrelevant when I don't have
deicing equipment anyway, but the spread still matters.

All the best,

David