Old July 7th 05, 11:56 PM
jsbougher

Jay, as a long time lurker, I have to agree with much/most of what you
said. EAA allowed me to live vicariously for many years before I could
afford to start building. I too read every magazine cover to cover.
While I've managed to start a project, regular 2 year moves due to my
career + children have put it on hold. On the other hand, I have
finally reached the point where I can afford to own and fly a plane and
am the proud owner of an experimental that was lovingly created by
someone else. I understand others feelings - let it be for builders
only. That said, I hope they understand that the great mass of us who
have not started/completed a project admire and respect them for their
accomplishment and that the EAA lets us support what we all feel is a
wonderful sport. I'm a big tent proponent and believe that it allows
us to foster and support the dreams of the many and the reality of the
few.
Jeff

Jay Honeck wrote:
That's a question that I've been mentally rasslin' with for a few years
now. Who **is** the reason for the EAA? Is it JUST Experimentals as the
name of the organization implies? Are the warbirds a part of it only
because the founder of EAA flew warbirds or are they an intrinsic part of
it due to the nature of keeping a beast flying for which there are no
readily available parts?

Jim, as you know, I tend to get emotional about EAA. I love the
organization with all my heart, but would gut parts of it with my bare
hands, if I could.

Without EAA it's doubtful that my life would have taken the turn(s) it
has -- all of them good. ...

My children already dream about OSH every winter, Jim, just like we do --
and I want it to be there for them. Please be careful what you do with our
beloved organization. It's a living, breathing thing that could be easily
harmed -- or killed -- by taking the wrong approach.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA