Old July 13th 05, 09:15 PM
jls

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
I don't understand what advantage this has over simply deflating the

strut,
removing the schrader fitting, filling it to the brim with 5606

That will work just fine if you can get the fluid to it, way back there on
the firewall behind the mags and alternator and all those wires, without
making a mess.

, replacing
the schrader, and pumping it with a gas (air or nitrogen). You can argue
for nitrogen if you want, but the sloshing of the 5606 inside that strut
keeps it pretty well oiled for plain old air.

OK.

Besides, nitrogen comes out
the spigot at a pretty good pressure, and you can adjust an air compressor
down to where it won't blow the piston out the bottom of the strut.

We use nitrogen by adjusting the pressure with a relief valve upstream of
the schrader before inflating the strut. Nitrogen is cheap and so is the
relief valve. A nitrogen bottle without a relief valve could be dangerous,
or I guess even more dangerous than it already is because of the high
pressure.

Have a good cross-country, now, heah?

Jim

" jls" wrote in message
.. .
These are the most wonderfully engineered oleo struts in the world.

They
are easy to rebuild and easy to service.

Filling one with 5606 hydraulic fluid, however, is not best done by the
book. You slip a tube which fits tightly over the schrader (with the
stem
removed) and the other end of the tube into your can of red hydraulic
fluid.
Then you pull out the collapsed strut to its full extension, thereby
sucking
5606 fluid into the hollow strut.