Old October 15th 03, 08:35 PM
Chip Jones

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message
"Chip Jones" wrote:
If the IAF is not on airways then a feeder
fix that is on airway will lead to the IAF. That is the case with
both GPS approaches for Greenville, AL (KPRN).

Which does *nothing* at all to assist ATC unless the feeder fix,
the IAF, the FAF and the MAP are plotted and displayed on
the sector PVD

So Chip, let's suppose you're working my target the next time I need to

fly
a GPS approach into Bug Floater Regional. What's the best way I could let
you know my intentions with a view to making the whole thing go smoothly?
What do you need from me - and when?

Dan, it sounds to me like you did just about everything that you could do to
make things go as smoothly as possible. I would personally need exactly
what you gave ATC. You gave plenty of lead time, made a clear request and
even offered helpful information about what you needed to do to get to the
IAF. I can't think of anything you could have done better.

The confusion was on the part of ZTL, and IMO it is a result of
unsatisfactory recurrent procedures training (virtually non-existent) on our
part. I can guess what happened behind the scenes too. You made your
request. It caught her by surprise (and controllers hate surprises). Off
mic, she likely cursed aloud and asked her peers if anyone had ever heard of
a GPS 32 into PRN. Someone dug out the plate, and an off mic discussion
took place on what she needed to do to CYA on her phraseology, MIA
requirements etc. I'm sure she had some choice words for her airspace and
procedures person too. We know we have a procedures training problem down
here, or at least the controller workforce knows it. There is no end in
sight and IMO its slowly getting worse as we continue to lose experienced
controllers without replacement. Sorry man.

Chip, ZTL