Old October 20th 03, 05:22 PM
Peter R.

Dave Butler ) wrote:

I assume you meant "...to match your current heading".

Yes.

directs the AP to turn in the direction you turned the heading bug, away
form the desired course. Left alone, the AP will soon turn back and re-
intercept the desired course.

If you turned the heading bug in the direction to match your current *heading*,
and and the AP turns in the direction you turned the heading bug, That turn will
be *toward*, not away from the desired course.

No, that is not what I am saying. The AP is already tracking the current
course, which results in maintained heading. However, the heading bug
happens to be five degrees to either side of the current heading. This
could either be because of a crosswind or perhaps DG precession.

If the pilot moves the heading bug to match the current heading, which is
also the course being tracked by the AP, the AP momentarily turns *away*
from the desired course.

--
Peter