Old October 23rd 03, 06:38 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Craig Prouse" wrote in message

snip
For the record, I usually navigate exclusively by GPS. I may or may not
back up my navigation by keeping the appropriate frequencies dialed in on
NAV1 and NAV2, keeping both OBS aligned with my airway.

wouldn't it make sense to tune the radios as a source of "situational
awareness"?

It depends on how
critical it is that I have an immediate backup ready to go.

I think tuning those radios has a lot to do with knowing where you are
enroute, in the case of some GPS failure.

In good VMC
it's usually not that critical.

A knapping we will go ...

It's very rare that I ever need to select
the NAV mode on the NAV/GPS switch except to fly an ILS. So it's not like

think in terms that my GPS is set up especially for situational awareness

of
the airway intercept. The GPS is set up because that's simply how I
navigate. How else would I get established on the airway? See where I'm
coming from?

We need to get sole means caught up to you.