Old July 26th 05, 04:14 PM
Doug

Not being descended soon enough is one of the biggest complaints the
airline captains have on Approach. ATC seems to think we have a
helicopter out there. Actually, what is happening is ATC sees one guy
do it and assumes everyone can. My Husky can come down 1000' per MILE
at my standard approach speed. It is good to know what YOUR airplane
limitations are. Some airplanes have spoilers and can come down quite
steeply. Other airplanes can't come down so steep.

You just have to make a decision whether to try and dive for it or not.
If you can't dive and make it, might as well level out and request
another try and tell the guy you need lower earlier. I actually think
this is a pretty serious problem. Someone is going to dive on in and
come in hot and long and overun the runway. There is a lot of pressure
when arrivals are lined up NOT to go missed. Such decisions are where
Captains earn their keep.