Old November 2nd 03, 02:03 AM
Doug

If you don't have an autopilot, definitely hand fly it. Problem comes
when you DO have an autopilot. If you have the autopilot fly it, it is
safer and more precise, but if you have the autopilot fly it, then you
don't know if you can do it if the autopilot fails. What I do is use
the autopilot for enroute and handfly the climbouts, arrivals and
approaches. I have used the autopilot for approaches, but I fly so few
in actual, I need all the practice I can get.

It also depends on how good your autopilot is. Mine can outfly me in
smooth air and at cruise speed. I can outfly it in turbulence, and
flying slowly.