Old August 1st 05, 02:07 AM
Ted

" wrote:

How did you find out about this if you just got home? I'd think you
would need to get your statement before discovering the error . . .

What, are you stuck in the 1980s or something? Today most credit card
companies and even credit unions offer online account access via the
Internet. Some companies, such as MBNA, even show authorizations
before they post as charges, which usually takes 1-3 days. If I charge
something now, in less than 10 seconds from now I can see the
authorization online. No need to wait around for a statement to wonder
in via the mailman. Of course all authorizations may not post for
various reasons or the amount authorized might vary from what eventually
posts. Hotels usually authorize a big number upon check in. Sometimes
(auto) gas stations authorize $1, sometimes a larger number like $50.

Speaking of which, to the OP: is it possible that the charge you are
seeing is just an authorization and not a charge? The self-pump might
have authorized an arbitrary large number to make sure your credit card
was good for it before it let you pump anything. When the charge posts
(in 1-3 days) it will show the actual amount being charged. Self-help
pumps usually time out pretty quickly.