Old August 1st 05, 12:04 AM

Marfa, TX is located ONLY 500 miles from you (not that far from Dallas
in Texas terms) in the scenic Big Bend area of west Texas. Marfa
Airport is located on a grassy plateau at 5,000' above sea level, so
we're not as hot in summer as much of the southwest. The Davis
Mountains are nearby and offer a wealth of family activities.

Send me your US Post mailing address and I will mail you a Texas
Mountains / Big Bend Travel Guide.

Around Dallas you'll find Southwest Soaring (a commercial soaring
operation) at Caddo Mills, and the Texas Soaring Ass'n. (an excellent
club) near Midlothian. For the absolute maximum in family activities,
consider Seminole-Lake Gliderport, west of Orlando (Disney World), FL.
Turf and Estrella (Arizona Soaring) near Phoenix are excellent soaring
schools.

Since you need to fly primarily during the week, soaring sites that are
"commercial operations" may be your best choice. Having a full-time
staff of instructors, ground crew, towpilots and an FAA Examiner on
site will help you reach your goal efficiently. For YOUR part, you
need to study the recommended texts ahead of time, pass your FAA Glider
"written" (now computer) test, and schedule enough time at the site you
choose to really learn how to fly well. Notice I said "fly well".
Solo and a earning a pilot certificate will be your second and third
goals.

For ALL the soaring clubs and commercial operations in the USA, go to
www.SSA.org Click on "The Sport" the "Where To Fly" for an
interactive map and state listings.

Email me with your questions about glider training at

Welcome back to soaring - the SSA Chapters (clubs) and Commercial
Soaring sites can help you meet your goals, and show you a good time!

Burt Compton, Master Flight Instructor / FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
President - Marfa Chamber of Commerce
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com
cellphone: 800-667-9464