Old August 12th 05, 06:28 AM
Happy Dog

"Jay Honeck" wrote in
I could be wrong, but doesn't it matter a LOT as to how quickly the
maneuver
is stopped and started? Like, an up down done over 9 seconds is almost
no
strain, and one done in 3 seconds is *considerably* more strain on the
plane?

Yeah, I'm wondering that, too.

Everyone is saying I didn't put too much negative G on the airframe --
which is nice to hear -- but it was a pretty abrupt maneuver. I know
when I do "up/downs" with the kids, if I do it long and slow, it's a lot
easier on everyone than if I yank and push.

Hopefully pushing hard didn't stress things too much...

Really unlikely. When you're on the ground, the wings aren't holding the
plane up. The landing gear is. You, probably, didn't even hit -.1G. -1 is
everything plastered against the roof. You probably didn't put much more
stress on it than a take-off at gross.

That being said, DHs advice is as sound as any I've seen on the subject.
Unless you're really competent with acro, even something as innocent as a
chandelle or lazy 8, spiral or spin can quickly get out of hand and stress
the airframe.

moo