Old August 15th 05, 01:25 AM
John R. Copeland

"Roy Smith" wrote in message =
The stock clearance into HPN from the POU area is IGN V157 HAARP. =

It's=20
been that for as long as I've been flying around here. Recently, =

they've=20
started issuing IGN V157 VALRE V157 HAARP, which boils down to exactly =

the=20
same thing (VALRE is just a bend in V157).
=20
Today, I asked the controller about it. His response is that he just =

reads=20
what gets printed on the strip, and they've been wondering the same =

thing=20
in the Tracon :-).
=20
Does anybody have any idea why the ATC computer would be generating=20
clearances with the same airway mentioned twice?

In a non-radar environment, as I recall from the days before radar,
a non-compulsory reporting point becomes compulsory if it is mentioned
by name in a clearance.

I'd guess ATC *really* wants to know when you pass VALRE,
even if the radar goes out of service.