Old August 18th 05, 05:25 PM
Michael

I'm familiar with the article, and somewhat in agreement. Running a
tank dry intentionally and at a safe altitude can be a responsible fuel
management strategy, uninformed comments to the contrary
notwithstanding.

Some factors favor running a tank dry. These factors are normally
aspirated engines (start right up when fuel is restored - an injected
engine can vapor-lock) and a gravity-feed fuel system (once again - no
risk of vapor lock). In a plane with a carbureted engine and a gravity
feed system, I would not hesitate to run tanks dry routinely. In a
plane with an engine driven suction pump and injected engines, I would
need a good reason - yes, the engine WILL restart - but it could take
forever (well, OK, 30-60 seconds) before the surging stops and full
available power is restored.

So what is a good reason to run a tank dry intentionally? Paradoxical
as it may sound, one good reason is to prevent running one dry
unintentionally - like the guy who ran his dry on the approach. It's
certainly more of an issue in IFR flying than it is in VFR flying,
because you're often not in a position where you can land safely on 15
mintues notice, and thus you NEED your reserves.

So how does one run a tank dry unintentionally? One method I often see
taught for fuel management that drives me absolutely bat**** is the
30-minute switch. Two tanks, run 30 minutes off each one. Works great
if you never use anything close to the full range of the airplane (in
which case ANYTHING works) or if you have the fuel consumption nailed.
If not, you're setting yourself up to run a tank dry - and what happens
when you do? Now you have less than 30 minutes left in the other tank!
Under VFR, that will probably be enough to make the nearest airport.
Under IFR, it may not be enough to reach an airport with a suitable
approach.

If flying something carbureted with a gravity feed system, I will
routinely run tanks dry in cruise just to have all my reserve fuel in
one tank. That way, if the worst happens (someone gears up on the only
runway and closes the airport, or the airport and my alternated go
below mins unexpectedly) I have all my reserve fuel in one place AND I
know exactly how much I have so I know what kind of plan I can make.
The advantage I gain may be slim (an extra 20 miles of range) but the
cost is essentially nil.

If flying something with a suction pump system and fuel injection, I
won't intentionally run a tank dry - but I will calculate exactly how
long I expect the tank to last and run it exactly that long - NOT LESS.
If I run out sooner than expected, that tells me my fuel consumption
is high, or I was misfueled (maybe due to fueling on a slope - can't
always avoid it) and thus I derate the amount of time I should have
available on the tank(s) I didn't run dry - and maybe change my
destination.

As a general rule, I would say you should always manage your fuel burn
such that if a tank unexpectedly runs dry due to misfueling or
higher-than-expected consumption, you should always have enough in
another tank to make a safe landing. Switching tanks in 30 minute
intervals does not do that.

Michael