Old November 26th 03, 04:41 PM
Windecks

With 2 other moving maps available my 430 is usally set to NAV 1 page. If
the VOR NRST has been previously selected it's 3 clicks to either NAV 4 or
VOR NRST. If it hasn't then it's 3 and 6 respectively.

Thanks again for your tips and concern. The 430 is a complex piece of gear
that indeed requires good training and ongoing practice to use effectively.
While I'm comfortable with it, with only 100 or so hours of actual usage in
my own plane I'm still learning and improving my technique.

A newly minted PP-ASEL friend just bought a Cherokee 6 he uses to fly his
family around, and has installed dual 430s. It's painful to watch him
struggle with the units, with 10-15+ seconds of heads-down time not unusual
while he tries to use basic features. In addition to giving some pointers I
constantly urge him to get some training software or take a course, but so
far with no success. You can lead a horse to water but.....

I would suggest recounting the number of clicks. To go from NAV page 2 to

NRST
page 4 requires 3 clicks of large knob (NAV-WPT-AUX-NRST), and then of

course
from NRST page 1 to the correct VOR page would require 3 additional clicks

of
the small knob (NRST airport-NDB-intersection-VOR). I count 6 clicks of

large
and small knob using your prefered method, vs 2 of the small knob going

from
NAV2 to NAV4 using my suggestion. Or did I miss something?

And of course I sincerely hope that you are indeed quite happy with the

Garmin
430 training. Hopefully you got all that you wanted (and even more

importantly
what you needed).

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles' wings