Old September 7th 05, 05:22 AM
Newps

Robert M. Gary wrote:

I'm 6'4" but 220lb. I usually fly my F model with my wife so I guess I
don't notice it as much. I do know that its the same size as an Arrow
(I measured them side by side after many rumors that the Arrow was
bigger). In the Mooney world, the cabin doesn't get any bigger until
you jump into the M models (Bravo, Ovation, Eagle). The F, J, K all
have the same cabins. An M can cost you 1/4 million though.
I used to fly a Bonanza. If you compare year to year a Bonanza to a
Mooney the Mooney will run slightly faster but the Bonanza will burn
about 20% more fuel doing it. (Don't be tricked by B drivers who try to
compare a 1960 C Mooney with a 2005 F33 Bonanza ). As you said, you
have to pay for the extra room in terms of fuel.

A friend just sold their M20C, I think it was an early 60's. I'm 6'2",
185. Way too tight for me. Much smaller cabin length than the 64 S35 I
just bought. As for speed, no comparison. The Mooney in really good
shape might get 150 kts, my friends flight planned 140 on about 10 gph.
My Bo gets 175 kts if you want to run 15 gph thru it. The main thing
about the Mooney is you really have to keep it on pavement. My Bo has
the same prop clearance as my recently departed 182 and the gear is
legendary for how strong it is. After some flight testing I can land
the Bo and get it stopped in 550 feet at 2400 pounds, that's 900 under
gross. Takeoff is about the same. I could have bought the Mooney for
half what I paid for my Bo but not being able to land off road was a
real deal killer.

I do miss the "screw" throttle in the B though.

I'm not sold on that yet but I may be warming up to it.