Old September 9th 05, 10:47 PM
Paul Lynch

I guess I miss your point Bob. I don't think I said anything that conflicts
with 91.175. I am ready to be educated, for me that process is painfully
endless.

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
"Paul Lynch" wrote

One addition to other posters comments on going below DH. You can go
below DH without having the runway in sight if you have the runway
environment (approach lighting system) is sight. You are authorized
(91 and 135) to 100 feet. At 100 feet you must have the runway (which
can mean only the end lights of the runway) in sight.

I don't think that you fully understand 91.175....

(3) Except for a Category II or Category III approach where any
necessary visual reference requirements are specified by the
Administrator, at least one of the following visual references for the
intended runway is distinctly visible and identifiable to the pilot:

(i) The approach light system, except that the pilot may not descend
below 100 feet above the touchdown zone elevation using the approach
lights as a reference unless the red terminating bars or the red side
row bars are also distinctly visible and identifiable.

(ii) The threshold.

(iii) The threshold markings.

(iv) The threshold lights.

(v) The runway end identifier lights.

(vi) The visual approach slope indicator.

(vii) The touchdown zone or touchdown zone markings.

(viii) The touchdown zone lights.

(ix) The runway or runway markings.

(x) The runway lights.

It says that I can go below 100' on the approach lights only, if I
have either the red terminating bars or red side row bars visible.
The 100' limit is not applicable if I have any of the items (ii)
thru (x) in sight, ie, I can descend below DH with only the VASI
in sight or...the REILS for that matter.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI
PanAm (retired)