Old September 10th 05, 02:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Hilton" wrote in message
nk.net...

If you're gonna quote me out of context, then we're wasting our time here.

Nobody quoted you out of context.

To thoroughly beat this dead horse, my point was that if you start your
turn before the MAP, you have no missed approach procedure to follow that
will
guarantee you 'safety' since the missed approach procedure starts at the
MAP.

Nobody suggested starting the turn before the MAP.

And if it is not standard?

Multiplying the GS angle in degrees by 100 provides a close approximation of
the altitude loss in feet for each mile. It's not exact, but the difference
is less than 6%.

So they have to do this divide by 300 math and then figure out the time
from
their airspeed?

It's just simple arithmetic. Many common pilot tasks call for doing simple
arithmetic.

Well, you're welcome to
teach your students (if you're a CFI-I) to suddenly do this math real-time
in
IMC on an ILS during a good-ol' pucker moment. I will teach my students
push one little button in exactly the same place every time on every
instrument
approach.

Nobody said timing an ILS was wrong. What we're trying to help you
understand is you're not screwed and must rely on luck to save your butt if
you're in IMC on an ILS and your GS fails and you didn't punch the timer at
the FAF. That there is a way to determine (at least approximately) where
the MAP is without DME or GPS or VOR. Do you understand that now?