Old September 10th 05, 07:45 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:59:19 GMT, Tim wrote:

It says that I can go below 100' on the approach lights only, if I
have either the red terminating bars or red side row bars visible.
The 100' limit is not applicable if I have any of the items (ii)
thru (x) in sight, ie, I can descend below DH with only the VASI
in sight or...the REILS for that matter.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI
PanAm (retired)

And don't forget 91.175(c)(2) which says that in order to operate below DH,
you ALSO need to have "the visibility prescribed in the standard instrument
approach being used".

The approach light aspect of the rule presumes you will acquire at least
one other of the runway visual cues prior to crossing the threshold
because you will be unable to see the ALS by that point (unless you have
a rear view mirror ;-)

You still need the flight visibility specified in the approach, if you are
below DH/MDA, don't you?