Old September 10th 05, 09:45 PM
Hilton

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Hilton wrote:

[Obvious replies inserted] And that is? How would you identify it?

Since I'm on the GS when my GS receiver fails my distance from the MAP is
directly proportional to my altitude above DH. A 3 degree GS drops 318'

in
each nautical mile. If I'm about 1000' above DH I'm about 3 miles from

the
MAP. Simple.

OK, since we're never going to agree on this, please help me out here. I'm
a CFI-I. If I were to have a lesson with a student who is pretty much ready
for his IR checkride tomorrow morning, please write out the math that he/she
would need to do in IMC on the ILS when his/her glideslope failed. I would
need to convince this student that doing this math in IMC (while doing all
the other stuff) is easy/safer/better than starting the timer.

Let's assume that the GS fails at 2700' (MSL), the DH is at 357' (MSL), a 3
degree glideslope, an 'ILS' airspeed of 100 knots, a climb airspeed of 80
knots. For simplicity, let's assume no wind conditions.

Thanks.

Hilton