Old September 11th 05, 02:06 AM
Bob Gardner

Astounding. The mind reels. Don't really know how to blow the whistle on
this guy, but he needs it.

Bob Gardner

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
During my instrument training, I learned that I would have "normal"
CDI sensing whether flying in the localizer front course or out the
back course.

However, At our local International airport (Sacramento, CA), one
of the runways (16R/34L) has an ILS on both 16R and 34L, although
the ILS for 34L is currently out of service.

While flying the ILS approach to runway 16R, I was to continue
straight out after a touch and go, so I planned to follow the
localizer. The D.E. with me said that I would have reverse sensing
while flying out the back course.

What!?! That's not what I learned. While flying out, I noticed that
the needle displaced further while he was 'correcting' in what I
felt was the wrong direction. This seemed to make my point, but
he then said that I was getting 'correct' sensing due to the fact
that that particular runway has an ILS on both ends, both on the
same frequency.

OK, this gave me pause - I had never noticed that before. In looking
at the ILS 16R and ILS 34L approach charts, they both are on frequency
111.1 - although they have different Identifier codes.

How does this work? I thought the Localizer antennas operated in both
directions, ahead of the antenna and behind as well. When they both
use the same frequency, are they omni-directional?

Assuming they are omni-directional, does that mean you will receive
both signals while overflying the runway?

Given that the ILS for 34L was out of service, there is no doubt
that I should get normal sensing while flying out the back course,
however both my CFII and the Designated Examiner had this reversed.

How can a lowly student be correct and his CFII and Designated Examiner
be wrong?

Sacramento, CA