Old September 20th 05, 09:09 PM
pgbnh

Most definitely do some instrument training at night. As others have said,
you do not want your first encounter to be real IMC when it is real dark.

Having said that, I add the following:
Do some night IFR simulated in VMC with a competent instructor
Do some night IFR in ACTUAL IMC, but with good enough visibiity and high
enough ceilings to provide an 'out' if you need it (I would vote for a
4-5000 ceiling and 5-8 vis.). These are my personal minimums for night IFR.

I scared the crap out of myself with a night flight in actual, with family
aboard, and about 1000/3. Will not do it again.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am getting ready to start of Instrument training. I plan on training
during the day on the weekends and 1 or 2 nights during the week.

What are your thoughts on instrument training at night? Personally I
don't fly at night and have only for what was required for my PPSEL.
However my goal is to go on to my Commerical and CFI after the
Instrument.

I know I will have to get proficient at night flying to teach the
PPSEL, but not while IFR.

So, I guess my question comes down to added risk. How much additional
risk am I taking by doing some of my Instrument at night?