Old September 26th 05, 06:23 AM
Roger

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:52:10 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

Roger wrote:

Why grind the blade is there is nothing wrong other than the leanding
edge needs polishing.

Paint could be hiding cracks.

You have paint on the leading edges of your prop? :-))
It stayed on mine for all of a couple of weeks and I fly off a paved
strip.

They should be able to polish the leading edge to check it and remove
the paint without grinding to check the rest.

"Grinding" sounds like a harsh way to check for cracks, but there may
be something I'm missing.

I can understand grinding deep enough to relieve stresses, but I'd
think there'd be little if the prop never had to be dressed. OTOH
I've seen some pretty nasty stuff "dressed" out of props and I would
expect there to be stress from some of those going too deep to be
ground out, but without any visible cracks to show in dye penetrant
testing.

So, I'd still expect them to be able to overhaul and inspect a good
many props without having to do a real grind job. All I'd expect would
be a fast lap with 200 grit, a dye check, and a polish followed by a
coat of paint for those that check good

If it has even hair line cracks they'll show without having to grind
deeply. If none and no dressing out show there shouldn't be any real
reason to take off a lot of metal. I would think stress being ground
out had to be caused by something that either left a mark or was
dressed out. Both would show, visibly or with dye.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

George Patterson

Roger