Old September 26th 05, 11:21 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

Beyond whether it is OK to do - it is also important to consider whether it
will work well when needed. The rubber duck antenna is for 118 to 136 MHz
while the ELT that Ron asked about transmits on both 121.5 and 243.0 MHz
simultaneously. It is important to use an antenna that will transmit on
those frequencies well in an emergency.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to knock Tim. His advice on the
web page is very good and he does have many nice antenna options. It is
clear to me that Tim knows more about antennas than I do. I am trying to
help Ron find a good solution for the AmeriKing AK-450 ELT that he purchased
from me.

Some other sailplane owners must have done this before... I look forward to
some good feedback from the many sharp glider pilots.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
Tim's note is correct - you can't use a rubber ducky type
antenna for a certified ELT installation, but if you don't
have to have an ELT under the FAR's, you can use any antenna
you want. The other option is a center fed dipole tape
antenna. I know Tim sells those too.

I think it is fairly clear that for a glider with an experimental
certificate, you can pretty much install an ELT any way you want, and
likely get away with signing it off yourself (as a non-A&P). I think it
is also fairly clear that an ELT installation in a type certified glider
will require at least an A&P (and possibly IA) sign off, but probably does
not require a 337. The question in my mind, however, is whether the
typical A&P (or IA) would be willing to sign off an ELT installation in a
certified glider, that makes use of uncertified components (like a rubber
ducky). Any A&Ps out there willing to comment?

Marc