Old December 21st 03, 03:27 AM
Hamish Reid

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

Hamish Reid wrote:
vi, humph. It's ed. Kids these days... :-). Anyone else for teco?

Never did any TECO, but I did use SOS, a close cousin. Used to be
pretty good at the 029 card punch too :-)

SOS? Luxury! I used to enter things with the front panel switches on
the PDP-11

Been there, done that.

Give me a nice G5 Mac any day

Like the 12" PowerBook I'm typing this on? It's actually quite a modest
machine by today's standards: 1 GHz G4 processor, 512 meg ram, 40 gig
disk, wireless ethernet, read/write CD/DVD, blah, blah, blah, but just
try and carry an 11/45 onto the subway and see how far you get.

I actually still have the "boot PROM" from an old PDP-11 (not sure
which model) -- it's just a standard Unibus board with 16 diodes and a
bunch of resistors on it. You cut the diode leads for a zero, left 'em
alone (or soldered them back) for a one. It's larger than your
PowerBook...

Hamish