Old October 3rd 05, 04:13 PM
Mark Hansen

On 10/2/2005 20:09, STICKMONKE wrote:

I have quietly read this newsgroup for the past year. It has been very
helpful. During that time I was studying for my IFR rating. We'll today I
passed it on my first attempt. What a relief!

Congratulations! It is quite a relief, isn't it?

1) Autopilot GPS/VOR KCMA

2) ILS KOXR

3) VOR/A KVNY

4) FLM hold on R-240 right hand turns

5) Examiner stated "my oral review was as good as an instructor"

That's always nice to hear too!

I worked very hard on this. It was a true challenge. I plan on flying
practice approaches with an instructor once a month. I have taken the
written IFR exam every week for a year (faatest.com software) and plan on
continuing to do so. I got a 95 on the written. So to all those working on
this rating...put in the time..never give up.and you'll make it. By the way,
I spent almost $15,000. I bought a lot of stuff, DVD's, headsets, Cleared
for Approach, etc...I had 65 hours of IFR training all in a C172S/G

$15k? Wow. I thought I pulled out all the stops, and I spent around $9k

I was pretty disappointed in my IFR check ride. The owner of the FBO (who
administered the check ride) made a couple large bone-headed mistakes
which I had to correct, and didn't really task me that much during either
the oral or practical flight portions.

But, like you I now have a license to learn, so that is what I'll do ;-)

Again, big congratulations!

Sacramento, CA