Old October 4th 05, 12:26 AM
Kilo Charlie

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Kilo Charlie wrote:
OK I'll "bite back" BB.

I would prefer the statement to be "you cannot legislate good judgement".
There is a huge difference between rules and laws that protect life by
protecting the human body e.g. seat belts and parachutes and those that
make an attempt to force people into making the "correct" choice.

OK, I'll bite: what is this huge difference, and how does it apply to
contest rules? We also make traffic rules about stopping at traffic lights
and driving on the right side of the rule, which seem to be safety
related.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Interesting response Eric. My statement had no underlying meaning as you
appear to imply. I am pretty certain having spent a fair amount of time
talking to John at a contest in Uvalde several years ago that he and I would
agree on more than we disagree. One thing for sure is that I agree with his
point that I don't wish this to degenerate into another arguement over
finish lines.

Re the specific complaint....BB used some examples that included things that
help protect our pink little bodies from the elements of destruction....my
point was that they are very different from pure rules whose only purpose
are to prevent you from doing something stupid and provide no benefit in and
of themselves beyond that.

I'd be the first to say that there are PLENTY of traffic laws (since that
seems to be the theme here) that attempt to force people into making the
correct judgements......speed limits, DUI laws, etc. If everyone would
always have good judgement we wouldn't need them......that's your point
right?

Where we disagree is that the traffic rules are a poor analogy. Basically
everyone drives. It is required to be employed or to get to school, buy
food, etc. Nobody is forcing not even a single pilot into racing. It is
not necessary to get a job or to obtain food and I'm still looking for the
girls that think its cool.

All that I am asking and I think that John is asking is that we present both
sides and be reasonable about evaluating each proposal. This format is a
poor one for having these discussions. I would like to think given the
chance to sit down together that we would find common ground much faster
than appears from following these threads.

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix