Old October 7th 05, 07:31 PM
John R. Copeland

"Nick Kliewer" wrote in message =
In my understanding, the pilot is responsible for VFR separation from =

clouds
while operating "VFR on top." To what extent (and what would be the =

best way
to go about) to deviate heading to avoid clouds?

I wouldn't rely much upon deviation to avoid clouds during VFR-on-top.
I'd either climb higher to remain above the clouds, or else revert to =
ordinary IFR.

That said, however, if a solitary deviation of a few degrees were all =
I'd need,
I think I'd simply inform ATC of my need for some specific deviation,
in exactly the same way I'd handle a request for deviation
around an embedded thunderstorm showing on my radar.
For example, "Nxxxx requests deviation ten degrees left for weather."