Old October 24th 05, 09:10 PM

Default Ultralight motors?

Anthony W wrote:
I had been watching for a copy of it on eBay for over 3 years. I'm
surprised you found one so quickly.

Two stroke cycle engines can be a marvel of simplicity or frustratingly
complex and sometimes both at the same time. Most of my 2 stroke
experience is motorcycle and snowmobile related. For street bikes the
EPA killed them and it's a real shame. There really wasn't that much
pollution from all bikes much less a few 2 strokes on the road.

I don't have any experience with fuel injected 2 strokes but I'll bet
it's an improvement. Like I said before I don't have the money for such
a project or I'd have a Hirth 4 on order to put in a bike.

I think fuel injected two strokes are being used for outboard motors
(marine use) now, so they may (soon?) be acceptable in other
aplications too. I think they do not require mixing the oil
into the fuel.

I'm 6'5" and I could never seriously consider an ultralight. I don't
know what engine will be in my first plane but only cost will take one
of these out of the running.

IIRC Steve Woods who designed the SkyPup ultralight is 6'4" and fit
in the cockpit nicely. The pup has a design weight of 195 lbs dry
using the Cayuna 215 engine but with design gross of 400 lbs you
need to be a skinny 6'5" to not exceed that.

There is a very active Yahoo CLUB (not group):

FF