Old October 29th 05, 04:37 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Are "Popups" A Hassle?

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Excellent question, and I would like to know the answer. If I ask for
an IFR clearance to the next way point just to pop up, I just get asked
what airport my destination is and then told it will take a while to
coordinate. If I ask for a clearance to VFR on top to the next way
point, the clearance comes right out. So, I agree, why is it different?

It's not different. It appears to be a lack of understanding on the part of
the controller. There's nothing wrong with asking for a clearance to a
waypoint, I have no idea why the controller would ask for your destination
airport. If you had wanted an IFR clearance to an airport I'm sure you
would have asked for that.