Old November 4th 05, 11:29 PM
Peter Duniho

Default "Movement Area" (airplanes and trucks)

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
[...]
This situation irks me. Can ground control clear me through an area over
which they've no control?

Yes, they may. Depending on the airport, it may or may not be common. In
some cases, the only reason for an area being a "non-movement area" is that
it's not in view of the control tower. A taxiing airplane might have to or
want to move through such an "out of view" area on their way from Point A to
Point B.

Anyone can move about freely within a non-movement area; it's just as if
you're at an uncontrolled airport. You should handle it the same way.

I've been cleared *to* uncontrolled areas; not
*through*. Does it become controlled when the taxiway normally used for
that route is closed? Should it?

I don't see why it should. You can imagine the confusion that would reign
if a particular area of the airport went back and forth between being
controlled and uncontrolled.

Pete