Old November 6th 05, 04:30 PM

Default Thermal Mapping

Chris,

I am the WinPilot Dealer for the US and have used the Thermal function
of WinPilot for many years. I have an extensive thermal database for
the Montage area USA (6 years of all my flights and all national and
regional contests for this site). I also developed a data base for the
Minden area.

What I found:

WinPilot can show all thermals or limit them by sun time and wind.
When you limit make sure the Ipaq time is set correctly.
The database is more effective in mountainous areas. I found it
effective in Minden and in Montague. Ephrata WA it did not work well.
Mostly flat terrrain in agricultural areas in this area.

I found it is most useful to find routes to specific turnpoints or
areas. Much better to fly in the black areas many thermals than the
areas with no thermal history.

If you want the thermal database for Montague and Minden please email
me.

Richard Pfiffner
www.craggyaero.com