Old November 8th 05, 03:04 AM
Dave

Default VG's on Warrior?

Hi Z!

To clarify.

There are only 4 per side, between the fuel tank and the fuselage,
maybe one more.. (from the pictures)

Piper fixed the outer (tapered) portion of the wing, but the inner
portion is "plain old Cherokee" (on a Warrior)

Dave

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:07:18 -0500, zatatime wrote:

On 6 Nov 2005 21:07:02 -0800, "Ben Hallert"
wrote:

OK, after a lot of research, we are looking at installing AMR&D's
Vortex Generators on our Warrior..
Anybody out there with expirence with these?

Why did you decide you wanted to do this?

I'll go out on a limb and guess it's because of one of these stated
benefits from pipermods.com:
" # LOWER STALL 5 mph
# IMPROVE LOW SPEED HANDLING
# IMPROVE SHORT FIELD PERFORMANCE
# IMPROVE PERFORMANCE AT GROSS WEIGHT
# IMPROVE CRUISE 3 - 7 mph
# INCREASE IN TOP SPEED"

If you're familiar with the reasons someone might want to buy them
(considering your past posts, I know you are) but have knowledge about
why it would be a bad idea or doesn't do what it claims, then, with
respect, why be a jerk about it? Just tell us why it's dumb already
without stringing us along. I'm hoping to buy a Warrior II soon
myself, and I'm studying all the mods to see what flies and what dies.

Thanks!

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Sorry you felt I was being a jerk. On the contrary I was looking to
learn something. I definitely have my opinions on VGs but have never
heard of anyone putting them on a Cherokee. With a big, fat, short
wing I was interested to see what it would do for the airfoil from
personal experience of others. Luckily others responded in a way that
provided me greater knowledge (thanks).

In case you missed the posts, it looks like for a Warrior II they
won't help much because Piper had already "fixed" the wing to some
degree so they might not benefit you. In my opinion, flap gap and
aileron seals would be where'd I'd put my money first. They should
lower the stall speed, increase low speed handling, and provide a
slightly higher cruise (2-3 kts); and I wouldn't have funny looking
things stuck all over my wings that would fall off over time.

Having said that, I'm also familiar with the wing root problems on
older Cherokees (which is what I own). It sounds like VGs could help
that somewhat so some additional investigation may be warranted.

Is it possible to put like 4 or 5 on each side, just to compensate for
the turbulent air at the wing root?

Thanks to those contributing to this thread.