Old November 18th 05, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Lightspeed Headset Update

Kevin Kubiak wrote:
Well after sending my Lightspeed 30-3g back for the 3rd time, I finally
got a brand new pair free of charge from Lightspeed.

I purchased them originally at OSH this year, and only had 20hrs total
time on them. Per Jay Honeck's suggestion, I spoke to Alan Schrader
after sending them for the second time with a battery box problem. Nice
guy, and he was genuinely interested in solving my problem. When they
arrived at my home, I was all set to take them flying with me the next
weekend. Well, I got in the plane, powered them up and no sound in the
right ear piece. I checked the stereo mono switch in the ANR battery
box. No luck. SO I grabbed my old stand by DCs and went flying. When
I got back I sent a 2 page bitch letter to
Alan, saying how dissatisfied I was because, I got them back broken from
the
factory repair center. I was off on vacation for a week so I didn't
need them.
While on vacation my cell phone rings and it was some VP from Lightspeed
who was very apologetic. He used words like unacceptable, and just
wanted me to know that he personally would replace them with a brand new
pair, and wanted me to call him if there was any reason at all if I was
dissatisfied. Right now he said he wanted to gain my trust back, since
I told him, that I now carry my DCs with me because I do not trust the
Lightspeeds I had. They sent them to me overnight at their expense. He
said that he would make sure that these were tested thoroughly and found
to be working before sending them to me.

So I have a new pair of Lightspeed 30-3Gs. I tried them with my hand
held radio
and they appear to work. Next chance I get to fly, the weather all of
sudden in the midwest has just gone to heck, I will hopefully try them out.

At least they are trying to make right a bad situation for me.

FYI for what it is worth.

Kevin Kubiak - PP-ASEL

I'm in Australia. I had some initial problems with 20XLs which ended up
being swapped out for 25XLs at no charge about three years ago. Haven't
flown much (couple of hours as passenger) in last 3 years. Got headset
out to use and the glue on the earseals (where they join the plastic
holding them into the headset) had gone all gooey. they peeled right
off (10 hrs use some time ago). Had a brand new set of earseals -
similar problem even though never used. Contected Lightspeed and they
UPSd me two new sets of seals.

Althoughthis is a 'wear' item the glue just appeared to have degenerated
(out of light heat etc). I'll keep an eye on the new seals, but I too
think their service is great even though I'd rather not have to use it.

Cheers,
Kevin