Old February 11th 04, 01:28 PM
Dave Butler

Andrew Gideon wrote:
I'm no freight dog or corporate pilot with dozens of approaches to minimums
each day. For me, as with many GA pilots I expect, maintaining *real*
currency involves explicit practice.

That's fine; I enjoy it. But I'd like to try some new places.

The issue is that I'd like to try some new places that are friendly about
multiple approaches. For example, at both ABE and STW I've almost never
had a problem terminating an approach in a T&G or low approach and heading
out immediately for another (or picking up a clearance for the next leg).
I've tried TTN, but they always insist upon my landing and picking up my
next clearance on the ground.

It sounds like you are doing your practicing under IFR. That's probably a good
idea from the POV of working within the system and practicing procedures with a
real controller. I don't feel the need to do that.

I do all my practicing under VFR, unless weather dictates otherwise. Controllers
here (Raleigh, NC) are usually happy to accomodate requests for VFR practice
approaches. Sometimes they get too busy for that, so I terminate radar
advisories and do full procedures (no vectors). I usually do my approaches at
nearby non-towered fields that are under the Raleigh TRACON jurisdiction,
followed by an approach to a full stop at RDU, where I'm based.

But, answering your original question, the Raleigh TRACON is usually a little
more accommodating than Center. We also have some military controllers nearby
(Seymour Johnson) that own some of the approaches and they're usually willing to
accommodate practice approaches.

It took several tries at TTN before I got the message, but in it eventually
sankgrin.

So what airports are more like ABE and STW, where approach is willing to
provide a clearance in the air and permit multiple approaches? Of course,
I'm interested in the area around my "home airport" (CDW in Northern NJ),
but I expect that others are interested in the same thing elsewhere.