Old November 23rd 05, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default More IFR with VFR GPS questions

In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

Have you asked this question to FSDO?

I did. About six years ago I sent the following message to eleven of the
fourteen FSDOs in the Great Lakes Region:

I must say you did your homework thoroughly (more thoroughly than anyone
at the FSDOs you corresponded with).

Nonetheless, I predict that if you ever got yourself into trouble using
a VFR GPS to navigate off-airways they'd nail you on a violation of
91.205(d)(2) (not to mention that old standby, 91.13).

"For IFR flight the following ... are required: ... navigational
equipment appropriate to the ground facilities being used."

This regulation was clearly written in the days before GPS, and it
hinges entirely on the meaning of the word "appropriate." But I think
it would be a mighty tough row to hoe in front of an administrative law
judge that a GPS that is explicitly not approved for IFR navigation is
nevertheless "appropriate" for IFR navigation, or that the reg is not
applicable because the GPS satellites aren't on the ground.

rg