Old November 29th 05, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default That's gotta be wrong

In a previous article, said:
Dave Butler wrote:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
that makes no sense to me: he said that if you have to go missed at your
alternate, you're not allowed to use GPS to navigate the missed approach

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
procedure. Please tell me that he was misinterpreting a rule that said

The restriction is on what may be *filed* as an alternate airport. There
is no restriction on what approaches are actually flown, or how you
navigate.

You are correct. The safety counsellor is confused.

No, he is not if he says you can use the GPS if it is still working, but
you have to have the overlay ground equipment available in case the GPS
goes TA.

Why don't you try reading the original article? The safety counsellor
said that you couldn't use the GPS to navigate the missed approach at the
alternate EVEN IF IT'S WORKING!

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/