Old December 1st 05, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Primary nav source

Roy Smith wrote:
The recent GPS/IFR discussions here got me to thinking. I generally fly an
Arrow, equipped with a Garmin 430, 2 VORs, Loran, my handheld GPS, my
sectionals, low enroute charts, and since I got my IFR ticket, I try to fly
under ATC control as often as possible to keep my comm skills up.

On cross county flights, I fiddle with the VORs and cross check my location,
I set the Loran (if it's working that day), etc. In other words, for
navigation, I use everything inside and out the cockpit that is operational.

Which one is considered primary?

I fly an Arrow that is equipped with a Garmin 430, King KX-155 nav-com, ADF and
a DME that's crapped out at the moment. I use the GPS as my primary nav radio
for enroute segments and the King for approaches. I generally have the GPS
showing the moving map and feeding one of the OBSs as well. If the GPS were to
go tango uniform on me, I'd just use the King to get myself on an established
victor airway and go from there.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE