Old December 3rd 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US ELT Installation

Eric,

Do all Schleicher gliders lack carbon fiber above the baggage
compartment?

For example, is that true of my ASW-27 (sn 29)?

How far back does the carbon free area go?

If so, is that a reasonable location for a transponder antenna?

I want to install a transponder, but I will not use an external
antenna.

Thanks,

Bob Zahradnik
Durango, CO

Eric Greenwell wrote:
mhr wrote:

These questions are particularly pertinent to owners of experimentally
certificated gliders since the owner can do all the work. As well, for
owners of experimentally certificated gliders made of carbon fiber, a
functional installation could be quite difficult unless the new antenna
is mounted externally, which no racer would want to do.

There are alternatives for the gliders that can not install an antenna
in the fuselage, such as one in the cockpit; for example, I've seen
rubber ducky type mounted on the cockpit sill even with the pilot's
shoulder or more rearward. My unit is mounted like that, but with a whip
style instead of the ducky style. Schleicher gliders are not carbon
above the baggage area, so an antenna can be mounted there.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA