Old February 25th 04, 02:02 PM
Snowbird

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message . net...
You totally misunderstood my point. I thought the person I was responding
to was commenting on the laziness of people and the general push towards
just getting by rather than learning how to fly.

I did not say anything about how ADF is better than GPS or something
similar. A GPS probably could get me to more places legally, but do I
really want to do a GPS approach rather than a precision approach at a
bigger airport?

You make it clear this is a rhetorical question, but I'd like to
point out that quite often in some parts of the country, the answer
is "yes", for many reasons.

For example, if you have a choice between flying a GPS approach into
an airport 20 minutes drive from your destination, or an ILS into a
bigger airport 2 hrs drive away, what do you really want to do?

If you have a choice between being based at a smaller airport where
you can afford hangar rent and typically be the only one shooting
the GPS approach, or a nearby bigger airport where you can be #7
for the ILS, what do you really want to do?

Similar considerations apply to other NP vs precision approaches -- except
that these days NDBs at smaller airports are often woefully ill-maintained
and not NOTAM'd OTS as often as they really are.

Of course, if you can afford any hangar rent at any airport and you
only fly into major metropolitan areas bristling with precision approaches,
these considerations don't apply to you

Cheers,
Sydney