Old December 7th 05, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Garmin 430

On 12/7/2005 13:36, wrote:

Mitty wrote:

On 12/6/2005 5:25 PM,
wrote the following:

At first glance, it appears to me that the Garmin 430 provides a LOT of
useful information for relatively not much money.

It's a great box. IMHO, anyway. I don't care so much for the SL30
nav/com but the 430 is very well thought out.

I have 2 questions though....

to use the glideslope / VOR / LOC functions of the 430, do I have to
have a glide slope indicator and VOR indicator or are these bits of
information displayed on hte 430 unit?

Contrary to a previous response, the G430 does have a glide slope
function as part of the VLOC function. At least the one that I fly with
does. The 430 does not indicate either the localizer or the glide slope
on its screen however. You need to buy the separate indicator (CDI).

Garmin has a free simulator and free downloads of the manuals from their
web site. Get the sim and the manuals and you can learn the box in
maybe 5 hours. Enough to get started flying with it and certainly
enough to evaluate it thoroughly. You should have someone who knows the
430 in the right seat for the first few flights IMHO.

Is this one piece of equipment enough to enable my 172 to be instrument
certified?

No. Required flight instruments are specified in Part 91.

In terms of required navigation devices and a reasonable platform for
instrument training the 430 would be sufficient along with a
transponder. Hmmm, maybe a marker beacon receiver, too, to placate a
picky examiner?

Yes, but the OP asked about required equipment in general. The 430
certainly does not cover it all. You still need a Generator/alternator,
sensitive altimeter, inclinometer, etc. ... from 91.205

It is possible his VFR-certified airplane has all these things
already, but he didn't say that it did.

Sacramento, CA