Old February 27th 04, 05:22 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Judah" wrote in message

The other day I was flying to 3N6 in NJ from JST in PA in a plane
with two VORs and a VFR-only GPS. About halfway through I got
an ammended clearance giving me a shortcut. The last point in the
clearance was ARD then Direct 3N6.

After accepting the clearance, and turning toward the next waypoint, I
browsed further down on the chart, and realized that they omitted the
feeder fix (RBV) in the ammended clearance. There is only one
approach into Old Bridge, and the IAF is an intersection of RBV and
COL, not ARD.

It was a clear VFR day, so I didn't make a big deal of it, but I mentioned
it to the final controller, and asked him to verify the vector that I
picked off ARD, at which point he cleared me to RBV anyway. But did the

controller who ammended the clearance without RBV make a
mistake?

No.

Was it my mistake for accepting it?

It wasn't a mistake at all, ARD direct 3N6 is acceptable routing. It was a
nice day so the controller probably assumed you'd be happy with a visual
approach.

In IFR conditions, with a comm failure, would I have flown to ARD
then RBV anyway?

In those conditions you do whatever you need to do.

Should I have asked the controller for an ammendment as soon as
I noticed the error?

It wasn't an error. If you wanted something else for some reason you should
have advised the controller.

Or am I mistaken in recalling my instructor tell me that I can't fly

direct
to an intersection without some sort of RNAV unless I am first
tracking one of the airways that make up the intersection.

What intersection would you fly direct to? The only portion of the route
you mentioned was Yardley VOR/DME direct to 3N6.